Join Our Board to Advance Mental Health and Substance Use Health Community Support in Ottawa
Upstream Ottawa Mental Health Community Support (Upstream) is a dedicated community organization that provides essential mental health and substance use health support to youth and adults. Established in 1985, Upstream offers individualized support services and affordable housing options to persons with mental health and substance use health concerns. Upstream is funded for its core services like intensive case management, which in 2021 expanded to include a program that provides culturally safe and affirming services to underserved Black youth between the ages of 12 and 29 led by clinicians with lived experience.
Our mission is to provide support to youth and adults living with mental health and substance use health challenges, empowering them to lead self-guided and fulfilling lives. We are guided by our core values of being client-focused, committed to equity, meaningfully engaged, and community-based.
Position: Board Member
We are seeking volunteers from within the Ottawa region, committed to Upstream’s mission and values to serve up to 3 renewable 2-year terms on the Board of Directors.
Role and Responsibilities:
As a Board Member at Upstream Ottawa, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the direction of our organization and contributing to the betterment of mental health and substance use health services.
- Participate in regular board meetings, strategic planning sessions, and decision-making processes.
- Actively engage in committee work related to fundraising, communications, human resources, finance, and strategic planning (participation in a minimum of one committee is required).
- Uphold fiduciary responsibilities of a board member, including ethical and legal obligations.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Upstream’s strategic goals and initiatives.
- Act as a representative and advocate for Upstream Ottawa within the community and relevant networks, promoting our mission and values.
We are seeking individuals who can offer strategic insights and actively contribute to our mission. The ideal candidate must have one or more of the following areas of expertise:
- Experience in fundraising with a proven track record of successful campaigns and donor engagement
- Experience in philanthropy with a desire to enhance Upstream’s network and capacity to engage prospective funders and donors
- Business leaders with a desire to help Upstream further its mission by expanding the organization's networks and capacity to serve more people
- Background in mental health and substance use, preferably as a mental health professional, counselor, therapist, or related field
- Experience in not-for-profit governance, with a solid understanding of board roles, responsibilities, and governance best practices.
- Proficiency in government relations, with a proven ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with government bodies and agencies.
- Professional experience in legal consultancy.
* Upstream Ottawa is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors, valuing and celebrating the unique backgrounds, perspectives, and talents of all individuals. We encourage individuals from the BIPOC community (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour) and from other minority communities to apply.
Board members are expected to commit approximately 5-10 hours per month, including board meetings, committee work, and occasional community events.
How to Apply:
If you are passionate about advancing mental health and substance use health supports in Ottawa, with a particular focus on Black youth, and possess the qualifications mentioned above, we encourage you to apply. Please send your resume and a brief statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your statement, outline your relevant experience, your motivation for joining Upstream’s board, and how you envision contributing to our mission.
Application Deadline: Monday, October 2nd, 2023 by 4pm ET
Join us in making a lasting impact on the mental health and well-being of Ottawa's community. Your expertise and dedication can help create positive change that reverberates throughout our city.
For inquiries or more information, please contact Véronique Joncas at email@example.com.